6 Feb 2011

The Panda Is Still Alive!

yup, yup, yup - I'm still here, been pretty quiet of late on the ol' blogging, tweeting, facebooking, folksying, shouting-from-the-hilltops front, but my regular boring life has reared it's ugly head and gotten in the way of the cool and interesting part of my life. I work in the public sector to pay the bills and guess what? Spending cuts are a-coming, happy days! Well actually, spending cuts have been snipping the joy out of work for the last year or so, but just before Christmas it was announced that 450 jobs would have to go (great timing powers-that-be, just in time for the festive season). So we were all asked if we would like to leave in a 'voluntary' exit scheme and given 2 weeks to mull up the pros and cons of impending unemployment. deep joy.

After a LOT of uhming and ahing I applied for the initial 'application sifting, procrastinating' stage (this is the civil service after all) thinking "what the hell, it'll give me more time to make a decision because I'm rubbish at making important decisions about my future". And then, I got through the application process! Thanks department heads, it's good to know that nearly 4 years of hard graft, and smiling through gritted teeth at every shocking management decision was for nothing after all, am clearly not worth keeping, hmmmm. So now me and my OH are planning for the future, I'm waiting for a final 'compensation/redundancy-but-not-actual-redundancy' offer to be made (just gimme the effing money 'kay?) and I am outta there! Goodbye time recording, goodbye case work, goodbye flex time, goodbye efficiency savings, goodbye IT system which isn't fit for purpose, goodbye mid-year reviews, goodbye lovely colleagues, goodbye monthly team meetings, goodbye technical manual, goodbye O.R. Norwich!

Still, me and a mate/colleague who is in the same position have joked that when the office decides to recruit temps (when they realise they don't have enough staff to do the work) we'll be first in line! :)

So all in all this is why I've been so quiet - got alot on my plate trying to figure out the next stage of my life, figure out what it is that I ACTUALLY want to do as a full time job and planning a holiday for me and my OH (who incidentally works at the same office but has decided not to leave so that we have a stable wage coming in, GODBLESSHIM) for after I actually leave my job in April/May. Ideas for Deviant Panda come up now and again and get scribbled down ready for my triumphant return to the cool and interesting part of my life, but for now I'm concentrating on me and mine. :)

The shop is still open (I can still cope with putting stuff into envelopes and going down the post office!) but new stuff may have to wait for now!

Take care you gorgeous guys and gals, see you on the flipside!

Kate xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment